Makes 26 three-inch pancakes at 27 calories each.
1 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 1/4 cups milk
1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into mixing bowl.
2. Combine egg and milk; add to flour mixture. Stir only until ingredients are moistened. Batter will be lumpy.
3. Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle until a drop of water dances on the surface. Use a measuring tablespoon to drop level tablespoons of batter on the heated griddle. Bake over low heat until the surfaces of the pancakes are bubbled. Turn and bake other side.
4. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to moderate (350 F)
5. Bake the casserole, covered, in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, then uncovered for 10 minutes, or until bubbly and puffed. Serve immediately.
Whole Wheat cakes: Substitute whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour. Makes 20 three inch pancakes at 35 calories each.