Makes 10 servings
10 slices rye bread cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 1/2 pounds cooked corned beef
2 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (10 ounces)
6 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Arrange the bread cubes on the bottom of the dish
2. Coarsely shred the corned beef with a knife. Layer the meat over the bread. Sprinkle with the cheese.
3. Beat the eggs, milk, and pepper in a bowl until well blended. Pour over the corned beef mixture. Cover with foil. Refrigerate overnight.
4. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to moderate (350 F)
5. Bake the casserole, covered, in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, then uncovered for 10 minutes, or until bubbly and puffed. Serve immediately.