Warm up a good day with soup. Serves 6
· 1 small onion, chopped
· 1 medium carrot, chopped
· 1 celery stalk, chopped
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 4 cups (about 2 heads) broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
· 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced small
· 1 tablespoon Country Cream butter
· 2 tablespoons flour
· 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
· 1 cup Longmont Dairy whole milk
· 1/4 teaspoon salt and fresh pepper
· 2 cups Tillamook Sharp Cheddar cheese
· 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
Chop vegetables to small chunks. In a large pot, melt butter on low heat. Add chopped vegetables and sauté for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add flour, salt, and pepper stirring until smooth.
Add broth, milk and potatoes and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low until potatoes are soft. Stir in chopped broccoli and parmesan cheese. Check taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Cook uncovered for about 5 minutes or until broccoli is cooked. Add the cheese stirring well. Remove from heat.
To thicken, remove about 1 ½ cups of the potatoes and broccoli and place in food processor. Pulse for a few seconds. Return to soup and blend.
Adapted from Skinnytaste.com. Mooo News, January 2018